Edinburgh Workfare Protest Sat. 31st March
Britain-wide day of action against forced unpaid labour….
MEET 12 NOON KIRKGATE SHOPPING CENTRE, FOOT OF LEITH WALK
To take action at companies and charities still using workfare conscripts
– we say to those companies and charities still involved in this rip-off – stop now!
All welcome, bring banners, placards, whistles, drums….
Organised by Edinburgh Coalition Against Poverty
WHY WE ARE AGAINST WORKFARE
- Workfare is compulsory unpaid work for your benefits, under threat of your benefits being stopped if you refuse.
- “Workfare” makes millions for multinational fraudsters like A4e who supply the free labour to employers.
- Workfare undermines the pay and conditions of all workers.
- Workfare punishes the unemployed, when the real cause of unemployment is the chaotic profit system.
LET’S MAKE WORKFARE UNWORKABLE!
We plan to continue action till workfare is stopped. This is vital as the government is extending workfare to many claimants on Employment and Support Allowance, paid to claimants too ill to work.
Facebook event here
WHY WE NEED TO CONTINUE THE ACTION
The rising tide of opposition to workfare has led to several companies and charities pulling out of the compulsory work-for-your-benefits schemes. The government has been pressured into reducing the sanctions on the Work Experience Scheme.
But the Work Experience Scheme is only one of five workfare schemes. In Edinburgh for example we know for a fact that unemployed people are still being threatened with sanctions if they do not do unpaid labour under the Work Programme and the Mandatory Work Activity scheme.
Companies and charities definitely using workfare in Edinburgh include ASDA, British Heart Foundation and Barnardos, while companies using workfare nationally who have branches in Edinburgh include Tescos and Holland and Barret.
So it’s important we step up the action to stop workfare completely.
For more info on workfare see the articles on the Edinburgh Coalition Against Poverty site at http://www.
See also our Edinburgh Coalition Against Poverty facebook
(to participate in the organising for actions like this, e mail us to ask to join the ecaptalk e mail list)