Hollaback! Edinburgh Campaign Launches Today
06/09/2012 | Posted in: Uncategorized
The Hollaback! Edinburgh campaign and website have launched today as part of Hollaback!’s global campaign to end street harassment experienced by women and people of the LGBT community.
From their website
Today sees the launch of Hollaback! Edinburgh, the first organisation of its kind in Scotland. Having started as a grassroots movement in New York a few years back, Hollaback! is now active in 54 cities and 19 countries – among these now also Scotland.
Hollaback! is an international movement dedicated to ending street harassment, powered by a network of local activists worldwide. We work together to better understand street harassment, encouraging public conversations, and developing innovative strategies for ensuring equal access to public spaces. Street harassment – which includes wolf whistling, lewd remarks, flashing, sexual assault – is one of the most pervasive forms of gender-based violence and one of the least legislated against. We see street harassment as a ‘gateway’ to other forms of sexism and violence against disprivileged groups, and work actively to stop this.
Over the next year and beyond, Hollaback! Edinburgh will be hosting workshops, film screenings, art events and fundraising events in the city, as well as providing an important online presence, in order to bring the issue of street harassment to the forefront. Make sure to come along to some of our upcoming events, for example the day workshop on 13th October!
We hope that you will join us for the launch party tonight at Negociants in Edinburgh, from 7.30 – everyone is welcome!
We’ve got your back!
Also make sure to check out their awesome guide on what to do if you witness street harrasment at http://edinburgh.ihollaback.org/got-my-back/
Share and Enjoy
- A week in our shoes: | Hollaback! You have the power to end street harassment - [...] Hollaback Edinburgh gets press! Check it out, here. [...]
- » Big Girls Don’t Cry… Pretty Thing - [...] Hollaback! Edinburgh Campaign Launches Today [...]
- [link] Hollaback London: If someone wolf whistles at you or grabs you in the street, would you confront them? « slendermeans - [...] Hollaback! Edinburgh Campaign Launches Today (edinburghanarchists.noflag.org.uk) [...]
- quick hit: Hollaback London: If someone wolf whistles at you or grabs you in the street, would you confront them? | feimineach - […] Hollaback! Edinburgh Campaign Launches Today (edinburghanarchists.noflag.org.uk) […]
- Hollaback London: If someone wolf whistles at you or grabs you in the street, would you confront them? | feimineach.com - […] Hollaback! Edinburgh Campaign Launches Today (edinburghanarchists.noflag.org.uk) […]